Thursday, May 07, 2009

Hey, It's Late on a Thursday Night...

First of all, I can't believe this is my 317th post. I've been doing this how long???

And all of those old junior high sports coaches said I was a quitter!

Okay, it was only basketball in the ninth grade and believe me when I tell you I sucked spectacularly in my LA Gear high-tops with neon laces. Panting, wheezing, staggering around the court like an orangutan shot with a sedative-laced dart.

Anyway, I can't remember what I came here to tell you. One glass of red wine does that to me these days. I guess I should officially begin by wishing J a happy birthday, since it's been (mumblety-mumble) years since his grand entrance onto the planet. So, happy birthday, J!! I would like to take this opportunity to re-gift the homemade card my kid brother gave me when I was in college. I think it was my nineteenth or twentieth birthday, maybe. ("Happy birthday! Don't look so sad--in a few years, you'll look just like Mom!").

Honey, you look nothing like my mother. And we'll celebrate that very fact with hefty portions of Indian food at Sai Ram. (My mother's beautiful, but I don't want my husband to look like her, you know?)

There are a few things floating about my brain that deserve their own post, but they're still in their infancy. Hey, wow, I used there, their, and they're all in one sentence! And correctly (if a bit stiltedly). Thank you, English teachers from days of yore! So stay tuned for these sure-to-be-scintillating tidbits.

Finally, what's with all the wife-killers having the surname "Peterson" these days? Scott Peterson ... and now this winner, Drew Peterson ... I love how they describe him as "brash and mustachioed." But really, when you look at his photo, he looks less like Zorro and more like a patient who wandered off the grounds of a mental health treatment facility and is a distant relative of the Sutherland family.

This wraps it up for the week--I'm off to read more of People are Unappealing: Even Me by Sara Barron. I laughed until I cried in chapter two, plus there were at least four "Okay, let me just read this one more part to you" sentences or paragraphs so far, and I'm only on page 43.

5 comments:

  1. happy birthday j!

    and that book looks interesting, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, is this a novel and another I was Told There'd be Cake and others of that ilk. I love Sedaris but can't read him or any books of essays. I like to bite into a long novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a collection of essays...if I come across a really good novel, I'll definitely let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please let me know if you do Jess. I'm selling "Cake" without even having read it. I llike Time Travelers's Wife, Edgar Sawtelle. I tried to get through Bleak House but it took 3 pages to describe a leaf and I can't submit myself to that kind of torture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Suzy, I am reading The Divorce Party by Laura Dave now and it's AWESOME! Other great books -- Everyone is Beautiful by Katherine Center, and of course, Prety in Plaid by Jen Lancaster!

    Also, Jess, I got in touch with Sara because of your recommendation--THANKS! (am sending her your blog link!)

    Miss you a ton girlfriend! Hope you are well. We need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete