1. The Cure, Mixed Up. Yes, there must have been a mix-up, because I never even liked the Cure.
2. Stone Free, a Tribute to Jimi Hendrix by various artists. This is a mystery to me. I mean, PM Dawn covering "You Got Me Floatin'?" And what's this? The Cure again, doing "Purple Haze?" Two strong reasons to donate this CD to the local skeetshoot league.
3. 70 Ounces of Gold (various artists). I don't know, this looks more like 70 ounces of shit to me.
4. Soundtrack to the movie Sliver. There was a girl who lived on my floor at Nelson Hall who repeatedly insisted that I play this CD over and over again until it felt like a sliver in my brain.
5. House of Pain's Fine Malt Lyrics. Because sometimes I just wanted to jump around. Jump around. Jump up jump up and get down.
6. Dinosaur Jr's Where you Been?. This one was a little too alternative, even for me. It should have been named, "What the...?"
7. 2Pac, Strictly 4 My Niggaz. Because I was clearly the intended demographic.
8. Zoo Rave 1. I vaguely recall forcing my mother to listen to this on headphones in 1992. "This is what people my age listen to now, Mom!" *involuntary shudder*
9. Last Action Hero, Music from the Original Motion Picture. It may have been a motion picture, but it certainly wasn't original. Neither was the soundtrack.
10. Dead Can Dance, Into the Labyrinth. Music I was told to play if I wanted to "get myself into the mood." If the mood involved trying to physically enter Edvard Munch's The Scream-scape.
11. A bunch of Buddhist monks chanting. From my brief attempt at chilling myself the eff-out. Have you ever heard a fleet of Buddhist monks chanting? I wish I had before I bought this CD.
12. Twisted Sister, Big Hits and Nasty Cuts. Oh Dee, your hair was so beautiful. Your makeup so carefully applied. Your songs other than "We're not Gonna Take it" so derivative.
13. The Best of Peter, Paul and Mary: Ten Years Together. The one with "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "If I Had a Hammer" (I would destroy the CD player). This was actually given to me in 1995 by an old boyfriend. One would think that this gift, combined with the extra-large Partridge Family t-shirt he gave me for Christmas that year, would have been enough evidence for me to break up with him. But no. He ended up dumping me on Valentine's Day, when I had the flu. Maybe for failing the "If I give you crap gifts you should really say so or kick me to the curb" test.
From the meme authors:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
I just learned that this is the final Thursday Thirteen. Dammit! I'll be late to my own funeral. Here are some thirteeners with their shit much more together than me:
1. Novelist in Training
2. Diary of the Nello
3. Whiskey Talking
4. Urban Mummy
5. Music Whore
(leave your link in comments, I’ll add you, too)
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants