Thursday, October 02, 2008

I Love that Gail Konop Baker...

I know my 'last' post at The Debs was a month ago, but I'm posting again tomorrow (Friday the 3rd) to help celebrate the launch of fellow Deb Gail Konop-Baker's amazing debut memoir, Cancer is a Bitch (Or I'd Rather Be Having a Midlife Crisis).

I write a little on my Friday Debs post about exactly why her book resonated so strongly with me (it has to do with a personal health scare), but the bottom line is this: even if you have never left your doctor's office with anything but a clean bill of health, you will love this book. It is SO well-written, and so deeply honest...Gail writes the kinds of things the rest of us might think about our relationships or our families or our own places in the pecking order of the world...she's not afraid to lift up those rocks and shine the light on the things crawling beneath, she's not afraid to admit to being afraid, she's not afraid to laugh in the face of that fear, and that comforts the hell out of me.

I wanted to write an amusing post today about my quest to find the perfect face cream (which I am in dire need of due to my unfortunate tanning bed addiction in my early twenties), but last night we watched an HBO documentary on the use of torture as a means of interrogating military prisoners and it kind of left me feeling...not so cheerful. (Before that we watched Run Fatboy, Run, which had a similar rather joyless effect on me.) I hate when that happens! So instead of writing about a new product I've seen touted as "THE anti-wrinkle cream" (Revitol), I kind of said, "Meh. Fuckitol. I'll write about that next week."

So, NEXT week, maybe I'll write about Geritol. I mean Revitol. I am going to Racine Friday night to party with Elvis again, so I hope to have some sweaty scarf stories for you, too. In the meantime, you can read about me and my cervix at the Debs. Happy apple picking / Halloween decorating / soup making weekend!

PS: Today is the last day to enter to win one of two signed copies of Driving Sideways over at Betty Confidential..."Go do it, and be successful with it!"

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:35 PM

    I was going to say I hope Elvis restores your fun and quirky blog voice, but the cervix story might be along the line of your book and that was fabulous, so there you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be back to find out about the face cream. Inquiring minds want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I know what you mean; sometimes I go out and find amusing things to read before writing just so I can get into the right frame of mind. Sorry you're feeling down.

    ReplyDelete