Sunday, January 08, 2006

The Daily Cringe

I recently emailed a few fantastic writers to seek advice on new author-type stuff (and also because I have never emailed anyone “famous” before, and let me tell you—it’s a trip!) I was so excited to receive--the very next day--thoughtful responses from each person I'd emailed. I scrolled down to show my husband what I’d written to one of these kind authors. It started out okay—“Congratulations on your book’s success, blabbedy-bloo,” And so forth. Which I followed with, “Way to to!”

Not, “Way to go!” as I’d intended to type. Way. To. To. With an exclamation mark.

I still have indentations on my forehead from when my face hit the keyboard. To me, this is humiliating on two levels:

1) I am a writer. I know how to spell “Go.” And yes, typos happen, particularly late at night when your eyes are smoking from staring at the computer screen too long. But why couldn’t the typo have been hidden in the middle of a long, rambling sentence? Why did it have to be the word Go, followed by an exclamation mark?!?! I may as well walk around with a shirt that reads, “My attention to detail is shakier than Jude Law’s ability to commit to a woman.”

2) Why did I even want to say “Way to go!” to begin with? What am I, a little league coach? Special ed gym teacher?

So far, it’s been an auspicious start to the week. If you need me, I’ll be practicing my typing and proofreading skills or looking for my self-respect out back.

6 comments:

  1. Jess--
    Thanks for the comment and visiting from Melanie's site.

    Where are you in WI? Would you be interested in speaking to a writer's group? If so, please email me. We love hosting writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy, I'm cringing along with you. I hate when that sort of thing happens to me. Of course, it DOES happen to everyone, including famous writers...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Don't be so hard on yourself. At least you didn't say, "Way to toot!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who'd you contact?? I stalk authors all the time... you included..

    Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to to? LOLOL Don't beat yourself up. I'm sure many others have done worse! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:43 PM

    at least it was only an email :) I find myself irritated at all the spelling and grammar errors in actual books... I have a self-help book that I'd like to take a red pen to and send back the author, of course, maybe it's a test to see if I have OCD =)

    ReplyDelete